Saturday 20 July 2013

Bridges Over Troubles

The next exhibition at Cross Street Gallery is Bridges Over Troubles, a joint exhibition by Mike and Sara Fahey. Mike creates large scale historically inspired paintings whilst Sara creates intricate ceramic pieces. Mike’s work uses painting, drawing and printmaking techniques to explore a changing relationship between the photographic image and the artist’s ability to represent that image in a way which will enable a contemporary audience to connect with both the image and its history.

Sara's pieces are the results of experimentation with various glazes and raku firing, Sara states  "I have always been drawn to spaces which offer shelter and protection, quiet places to hide from the pressures of daily life. Most days the many stone bridges I pass under on my daily walk with my dog offer me this protection from the elements. As a teenager I would spend time sitting in these spaces chatting and smoking an illicit cigarette with my friends and today these tunnel like spaces bring back memories of friendships past, of laughter and giggles, arguments, tears and secrets told in confidence."

The exhibition opens on Friday 26th July 7-9pm, light refreshments will be provided, all welcome. 







No comments:

Post a Comment